Thinking about shaving off that Movember facial hair? If so, be careful about the shaving cream and aftershave you use. And while you’re at it, you may want to reconsider your deodorant. All of the above–and lots more–may contain toxic chemicals that could cause sperm damage, birth defects, asthma, cancer, and a variety of other problems, according to a new report by a Canadian non-profit, Environmental Defence.
The report, entitled “The Manscape: The Dirt on Toxic Ingredients in Men’s Body Care Products,” identifies a number of products that contain toxic ingredients–many of which aren’t even listed on the label. Environmental Defence recommends that manufacturers list all product ingredients and that consumers check out the organization’s list of the most toxic products. These include:
- L’Oreal Preference Ultimate Black Hair Dye: Contained five ingredients of concern, including 1,4-dioxane and p-phenylenediamine.
- Pert Plus 2-in-1 Shampoo and Conditioner Medium Hair: Four ingredients of concern, including phthalates and 1,4-dioxane.
- Gillette Foamy Regular Shave Foam: Four ingredients of concern, including artificial musks and sodium lauryl sulphate.
- Calvin Klein Obsession Aftershave: Four ingredients of concern, including phthalates, artificial musks
- Old Spice High Endurance Deodorant/Pure Sport: three ingredients, including phthalates and artificial musks.
- Speed Stick Stain Guard Deodorant/Fresh: three ingredients of concern, including artificial musk.
You can download a shopping guide to help you locate the least-toxic products here.
You can download a complete copy of the report here