The Ad Council, the U.S. Forest Service, and the National Association of State Foresters ask for your support in raising awareness for Fire Prevention Month. The sad truth is that nearly 9 out of 10 wildfires are still caused by humans.
- In 2014 there were 7,933 wildfires caused by lightning, but 55,679 wildfires caused by human error (as reported to the National Interagency Fire Center).
- In 2014 more than 3.5 million acres burned due to wildfires in the U.S. of those, more than 1.5 million acres burned due to human-caused wildfires.
Although most of us don’t behave this way intentionally, each year we learn of devastating wildfires caused by careless behavior which can impact millions of acres of forest and thousands of homes.
We can also be more responsible in our homes when it comes to fire safety as well. Half of home fire deaths result from fires reported between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. when most people are asleep. Only one in five home fires was reported during these hours.
- Learn how to build a SAFE campfire to prevent wildfires
- See how easily burning debris can start a wildfire
- Understand how proper equipment maintenance can reduce wildfires
- Safety is not only important indoors, but also around your property and community
Community Fire Safety
- How to prevent and detect fires inside your home
Home Fire Safety
Take care when you are out and about, or even at home. Remember- only you can prevent forest fires!